Home > Children & Money > University Tuition Fees and Student Loans

University Tuition Fees and Student Loans

By: Lorna Elliott LLB (hons), Barrister - Updated: 19 Dec 2016 |
Student Loan Maintenance Tuition Fees

If your child is thinking about going into higher education, they are making a great investment for their future. However, as parents, it is worth knowing how much the course is going to cost and all the associated expenses, such as books, travel, rent if living away from home, etc. With the majority of university tuition fees going up to £9,000 for the 2012/13 term, the costs of student life is now more expensive than ever before.

There are essentially three main sources of financial support for students. These are student loans, government grants and university and college bursaries. Of these three, student loans need to be paid back once your child has graduated and begun employment, but bursaries and grants are not required to be repaid.

Student Loans

There are two types of student loan, which cover tuition fees and maintenance respectively. Students can apply for these loans regardless of their household income.

Tuition Fees Loans covers the fees charged for your child's course each year and are paid directly to the university or college.

The maximum tuition fee a university or college can charge is:

  • £3,375 for 2011/12
  • £9,000 for 2012/13

The maximum amount available to students for Maintenance Loans in 2011/12 is:

  • £3,838 if you’re living at home
  • £4,950 if you’re living away from home outside London
  • £6,928 if you’re living away from home in London

The maximum amount available to students for Maintenance Loans in 2012/13 is:

  • £4,375 if you're living at home
  • £5,500 if you’re living away from home outside London
  • £7,675 if you’re living away from home in London

A Maintenance Loan is designed to cover other expenses such as living costs. Neither of these loans need to be paid back until your child is earning more than £15,000 per year if they start their course before September 2012, or over £21,000 a year if they start their course in September 2012 or later.

However, interest will accumulate on the loan, starting on the date when the loan is paid out to the student. Repayments are calculated at a rate of 9% of your child’s income over £15,000 before September 2012, or £21,000 after this date. For example, if a graduate is paid £18,000 per annum in their first job, they would pay back their student finance at a rate of £5.19 per week.

Who Qualifies For Maintenance Grants?

Maintenance grants are available to new full-time students if your household income is £50,020 or less in 2011/12 or £42,600 or less in 2012/13. Those who are not eligible for the full grant, which is worth up to £2,906 per annum for 2011/12 or £3,250 for 2012/13, may qualify for partial grants. You’ll receive the maximum Maintenance Grant if your household income is under £25,000.

In some circumstances, your child may be able to receive a ‘Special Support Grant’, which in effect allows students on lower incomes to be able to claim a higher Maintenance Loan than normal. You don’t have to pay back Maintenance Grants.

Who Qualifies For Bursaries?

Bursaries are available to a wide range of students. For example, students who are paying the maximum tuition fees, are receiving the full Maintenance or Special Support Grant and who are studying in England in 2011/12 automatically qualify for £338, although the actual amount a student receives could be substantially higher than this. Bursaries aren’t always paid in money – they could be given to students by way of reduced rental costs in student accommodation or free equipment.

A new £150m National Scholarship Programme to help students from lower income families will be introduced for the 2012/13 term, but details are still to be finalised by the government.

What This Help Means For Parents

If your child is considered a ‘dependant’, then your finances may be assessed in order to ascertain how much financial help they should receive. You should encourage your child to make their applications early – they do not have to wait for their results or to be offered a place. If they make their applications late, they may not have the funds in time for the beginning of term.

Other Funding

It is also possible to obtain financial help for students who have special circumstances. There is financial help for disabled students, a childcare grant for students who have children, grants for those who have adult dependants, and hardship grants, known as the ‘Access to Learning Fund.’

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
[Add a Comment]
I am a 21 yr old female living in Canada, I had my daughter when I was 18 yrs old, at the time I did not really now about or how child benefits work, so my mother pushed me into signing over my daughter child support to her. I was doing good, I kept my daughter well fed and dressed, she was super healthy and up to date on immunization, I had no problems at all. I have a job at the time I still do, until I got into child benefits, that's when everything went katotic. a written letter was made by my mother, and trusting her I signed it, she told me it was only for her child benefits, I did this because she told me it would help me to finish school. I still do not know if is means I sign over all my rights to her? please someone anyone!!!HELP>
Canada Chick 21 - 19-Dec-16 @ 11:32 PM
Barr - Your Question:
My son is 20 yrs old and starting a college course he still stays with me and I'm a single parent on benefits He had been at college before and I received child tax credits for him Do I still qualify now that he is 20?

Our Response:
It depends what kind of course he is doing and whether he gets any other support. Call the tax credit helpline: 0345 300 3900.
LawAndParents - 3-Sep-15 @ 2:24 PM
My son is 20 yrs old and starting a college course he still stays with me and I'm a single parent on benefits He had been at collegebefore and I received child tax credits for him Do I still qualify now that he is 20?
Barr - 3-Sep-15 @ 1:54 PM
I got divorced 4 years ago in the uk and relocated back to south africa.My 2 boys now aged 5 and 8 stayed with their mother in the u.k.We have a maintenance agreement and i have never missed a payment where i contribute more than half of my net income to the boys.our divorce agreement gives me access to the boys but due to work and financial constraints i haven't been able to visit my boys for the last 3 yeasr, i call every week and even though i arrange before hand with my ex on the time to call she sometimes doesnt answer the call and when she does she just says that the boys dont want to speak to me. I recently asked if it would be possible for the boys to visit me in south africa when they are old enough to fly but she said she would never let them come visit me till they adults.is he aloud to do this and what are my rights to enter the uk to visit my children?
Allen - 27-Nov-14 @ 4:40 PM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • Kev
    Re: Should we Still Pay Maintenance?
    Hi.my son is 17 at the moment and will be 18 in december. He currently attends an automotive level 2 college course for 9 hrs…
    25 September 2017
  • Cp123
    Re: The Rights of Working Parents
    I've recently asked to change my shifts so they work around school hours 9-3 twice a week and to work a weekend day. As I single…
    25 September 2017
  • LawAndParents
    Re: Could a Child Choose Which Parent to Live With?
    Chocpenguin - Your Question:I have a problem my brothers partner has 4 kids 2 of which are my brothers.…
    25 September 2017
  • Dazsteele
    Re: Should we Still Pay Maintenance?
    I am currently paying aliment to my ex wife for my daughter (20) who has just started university, my daughter works part time…
    25 September 2017
  • LawAndParents
    Re: Underage Sex: How to Protect Your Children
    Holly - Your Question:Hi at the age of 15 I had sex and ended up having a child at 16with someone that was 18 At…
    25 September 2017
  • Ribs
    Re: Should we Still Pay Maintenance?
    I have three children living who moved to Portugal with their mother in 2002/2003. The oldest child is 24 years old, 25 in…
    25 September 2017
  • aa17
    Re: Changing a Child's Surname
    Hi my daughters biologic father has had no contact with her since she was 3 she is now 8 , she is known as with my husband surname…
    25 September 2017
  • Sammyloo
    Re: Your Rights as a Grandparent
    My granddaughter has been taken in to foster care. Can I see my granddaughter as social services won’t give me any information at…
    25 September 2017
  • LawAndParents
    Re: Legal Entitlement to Child Benefit and Tax Credits
    Pops - Your Question:Hi, am I entitled to claim any child tax credits as my children live with me 3…
    25 September 2017
  • Debbie
    Re: Prohibited Steps Orders
    My ex says he is taking out a prohibited steps order to stop me moving in with my partner and taking our 10 year old daughter with me. He…
    25 September 2017
Further Reading...
Our Most Popular...
Add to my Yahoo!
Add to Google
Stumble this
Add to Twitter
Add To Facebook
RSS feed
You should seek independent professional advice before acting upon any information on the LawAndParents website. Please read our Disclaimer.