Home > Children & The Law > Child Court Witnesses

Child Court Witnesses

By: Lorna Elliott LLB (hons), Barrister - Updated: 11 Oct 2012 |
Child Witness Court Trial Police Case

If your child is going to be a witness in a court case, there are certain things that you can do as a parent to reassure them. You can tell them that they are not to blame for what has happened and that they are not doing anything wrong by being a witness. Similarly, reassure your child that it is right to tell the truth, and regardless of the court’s final decision he or she is not responsible for it.

Is There A Minimum Age For Child Witnesses?

Children of any age can give evidence in court. If you receive a witness summons in relation to your child, they MUST attend court. This is because a witness summons is a court order and failure to attend is contempt of court. The test for whether a particular child can give evidence is whether they can give ‘intelligible testimony’. This means that they understand what is being asked of them and are able to communicate in a way that the court can understand. If your child is over the age of 14, they can take an oath. If your child is younger than this, they are not required to do so.

Cases that involve child witnesses take priority over those that don’t. This means that the court will try to ensure the case is heard within a reasonable period of time. A child witness’s parent should be told about the date of the trial, what the bail conditions of the accused person are, and if the case does not go to trial, why it hasn’t gone to trial.

Court Procedure

You should also be told how your child will give evidence, i.e. whether it will be by video link or from behind a screen. It is also possible to claim for travel expenses for the journeys to and from court, and you should also be told how to contact the witness service at the court.

How to Prepare For The Case

Before the trial, the local child protection unit or police service should tell you about the child witness preparation scheme. This enables your child to prepare the child for court, but does not allow for anyone to discuss the evidence with the child. If at any stage there are concerns that your child is not able to give evidence, for example, they are not capable of doing so, the police and the prosecution service (CPS) should be told.

How To Help

Your child may behave differently before they attend court. Child witnesses, like any other witness, may feel anxious or nervous. If applicable, seek further support from others such as a teacher, the police or a child witness supporter if your child begins to exhibit feelings of anger, upset, fear or guilt. You should also consider similar interventions if your child wets the bed, or begins to change their mind about the accused.

It is a matter for you and your child as to whether you attend court with them. Sometimes you may also be a witness yourself. If this is the case, you and your child may not talk to each other about what has been said in court if you give evidence at different times. For example, if your child gives evidence before you, you cannot sit in court to hear it if you are then going to be a witness afterwards.

Special Measures In Court

There are a variety of ways that courts try to make children feel more comfortable in court. This can include live television link evidence, having a screen so that they cannot see the person in the dock while in court, giving evidence in private, or giving their main evidence on a pre-recorded video tape (they will still be cross examined.) Barristers and judges may remove their wigs and gowns, and in some cases evidence can be given through an intermediary such as an interpreter. If a child has special needs, or suffers from a disability or disorder, they may be allowed to have a communication aid to help them give evidence to the court.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
I need to know whether the court gives any right to a child of 11 years to decide with whom he wants to stay ( father or Mother) in the case where the child has been staying with his mother & her parents for the last 10 years & is bieng brought up properly.
Vishal - 9-Jun-11 @ 12:36 PM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • Kev
    Re: Should we Still Pay Maintenance?
    Hi.my son is 17 at the moment and will be 18 in december. He currently attends an automotive level 2 college course for 9 hrs…
    25 September 2017
  • Cp123
    Re: The Rights of Working Parents
    I've recently asked to change my shifts so they work around school hours 9-3 twice a week and to work a weekend day. As I single…
    25 September 2017
  • LawAndParents
    Re: Could a Child Choose Which Parent to Live With?
    Chocpenguin - Your Question:I have a problem my brothers partner has 4 kids 2 of which are my brothers.…
    25 September 2017
  • Dazsteele
    Re: Should we Still Pay Maintenance?
    I am currently paying aliment to my ex wife for my daughter (20) who has just started university, my daughter works part time…
    25 September 2017
  • LawAndParents
    Re: Underage Sex: How to Protect Your Children
    Holly - Your Question:Hi at the age of 15 I had sex and ended up having a child at 16with someone that was 18 At…
    25 September 2017
  • Ribs
    Re: Should we Still Pay Maintenance?
    I have three children living who moved to Portugal with their mother in 2002/2003. The oldest child is 24 years old, 25 in…
    25 September 2017
  • aa17
    Re: Changing a Child's Surname
    Hi my daughters biologic father has had no contact with her since she was 3 she is now 8 , she is known as with my husband surname…
    25 September 2017
  • Sammyloo
    Re: Your Rights as a Grandparent
    My granddaughter has been taken in to foster care. Can I see my granddaughter as social services won’t give me any information at…
    25 September 2017
  • LawAndParents
    Re: Legal Entitlement to Child Benefit and Tax Credits
    Pops - Your Question:Hi, am I entitled to claim any child tax credits as my children live with me 3…
    25 September 2017
  • Debbie
    Re: Prohibited Steps Orders
    My ex says he is taking out a prohibited steps order to stop me moving in with my partner and taking our 10 year old daughter with me. He…
    25 September 2017
Further Reading...
Our Most Popular...
Add to my Yahoo!
Add to Google
Stumble this
Add to Twitter
Add To Facebook
RSS feed
You should seek independent professional advice before acting upon any information on the LawAndParents website. Please read our Disclaimer.