Home > Children & The Law > Medical Treatment for Young People

Medical Treatment for Young People

By: Lorna Elliott LLB (hons), Barrister - Updated: 24 May 2011 |
Child Medical Treatment Consent

If your child is about to undergo medical treatment, you may want to know what your child’s rights are and what your rights are as a parent or guardian. In most cases, it is necessary for doctors and other medical professionals to get consent before treating or examining a patient.

In order to provide what is called ‘informed consent’, a patient must be given all the information regarding the medical treatment or examination, they must be able to understand the treatment and to be able to make a decision about it, and to provide their consent voluntarily.

While it may be helpful for a child or young person to discuss their medical treatment with a parent or Guardian, they may decide not to. If this is the case, the doctor must respect patient confidentiality. There are only limited exceptions to this, which are in the interests of child protection or if the failure to tell the parents could amount to significant harm to the child or young person.

When Can A Child Consent?

It is generally accepted that a child aged 16 or over will have the ability to consent to medical treatment. This is not of universal applicability, as not all children of this age will be able to provide informed consent. In these situations, the parent can provide consent. This can also be provided by a guardian or someone with Parental Responsibility.

There will be some incidents in which there is no time to obtain the consent of the parent because of the urgency with which medical treatment is required. In these circumstances, a medical professional can argue that this is necessary to prevent the child from the risk of (or actual) significant harm.

A child under the age of 16 can provide informed consent but this is not always the case. In law they are not automatically provided with the right to consent. Each case will be decided on its own facts, bearing in mind the maturity, understanding and intelligence of the child.

Is There A Minimum Age For Consent?

In short, no. There is, however, a presumption that a child under the age of 13 is unlikely to be able to consent of their own volition without involving either a parent or guardian. If a child is misusing drugs or alcohol, or suffers from mental illness that is intermittent, they are unlikely to be able to provide informed consent.

If You As A Parent Disagree With The Doctor

If you do not agree with the doctor’s advice, you can make an application to the court to determine what is in the best interests of your child. In emergency cases, a decision from the court can be obtained very quickly. In the event that the parents disagree with each other, a court order can also be obtained. It should be noted that usually the consent of only one parent is required in order for a medical professional to proceed with the treatment.

The court will consider the following factors in making a decision:

  • The child’s wishes and feelings
  • His or her age, sex, characteristics and background
  • Any risk of harm or any harm suffered
  • His or her physical, educational and emotional needs
  • The effect of any change in circumstances on the child

If The Child Disagrees With His Or Her Parents

In these circumstances, if the child is deemed mature enough and able to make their own informed decisions, the parents cannot interfere with his or her wishes.

It is possible for a child to refuse medical treatment, but in the event that the treatment is life-saving this will often be decided by the court (if deemed to be in the child’s best interests).

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
Why not be the first to leave a comment for discussion, ask for advice or share your story...

If you'd like to ask a question one of our experts (workload permitting) or a helpful reader hopefully can help you... We also love comments and interesting stories

(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • Kev
    Re: Should we Still Pay Maintenance?
    Hi.my son is 17 at the moment and will be 18 in december. He currently attends an automotive level 2 college course for 9 hrs…
    25 September 2017
  • Cp123
    Re: The Rights of Working Parents
    I've recently asked to change my shifts so they work around school hours 9-3 twice a week and to work a weekend day. As I single…
    25 September 2017
  • LawAndParents
    Re: Could a Child Choose Which Parent to Live With?
    Chocpenguin - Your Question:I have a problem my brothers partner has 4 kids 2 of which are my brothers.…
    25 September 2017
  • Dazsteele
    Re: Should we Still Pay Maintenance?
    I am currently paying aliment to my ex wife for my daughter (20) who has just started university, my daughter works part time…
    25 September 2017
  • LawAndParents
    Re: Underage Sex: How to Protect Your Children
    Holly - Your Question:Hi at the age of 15 I had sex and ended up having a child at 16with someone that was 18 At…
    25 September 2017
  • Ribs
    Re: Should we Still Pay Maintenance?
    I have three children living who moved to Portugal with their mother in 2002/2003. The oldest child is 24 years old, 25 in…
    25 September 2017
  • aa17
    Re: Changing a Child's Surname
    Hi my daughters biologic father has had no contact with her since she was 3 she is now 8 , she is known as with my husband surname…
    25 September 2017
  • Sammyloo
    Re: Your Rights as a Grandparent
    My granddaughter has been taken in to foster care. Can I see my granddaughter as social services won’t give me any information at…
    25 September 2017
  • LawAndParents
    Re: Legal Entitlement to Child Benefit and Tax Credits
    Pops - Your Question:Hi, am I entitled to claim any child tax credits as my children live with me 3…
    25 September 2017
  • Debbie
    Re: Prohibited Steps Orders
    My ex says he is taking out a prohibited steps order to stop me moving in with my partner and taking our 10 year old daughter with me. He…
    25 September 2017
Further Reading...
Our Most Popular...
Add to my Yahoo!
Add to Google
Stumble this
Add to Twitter
Add To Facebook
RSS feed
You should seek independent professional advice before acting upon any information on the LawAndParents website. Please read our Disclaimer.