Home > Child Protection > What is a Disqualification Order?

What is a Disqualification Order?

By: Angela Armes - Updated: 8 Oct 2010 | comments*Discuss
Disqualification Order Disqualification

A Disqualification Order is imposed by the courts to prevent an individual from working with children due to a previous committed offence. This order is more likely to be handed down if the individual in question has been involved in the abuse of a child, an elderly person or someone who is considered to be of a vulnerable disposition, or has been convicted of supplying Class A drugs to a child.

Disqualification Orders are controlled by the Home Office and imposed by a Crown Court.

Where Do Disqualification Orders Apply?

Someone with a Disqualification Order cannot work in any of the following institutions:

  • Hospital
  • Children's Home
  • School
  • Nursery
  • Crèche
  • Foster Home
  • Residential Home

This is not an exhaustive list but these are the most common areas where a Disqualification Order can come into force.

What Does Having a Disqualification Order Mean?

Simply put, it means that you cannot work with minors, teenagers, the elderly or persons of a vulnerable disposition, such as those who are handicapped or suffer from emotional traumas. If you have a Disqualification Order and you apply for a job in any of these areas, your application will automatically be refused.

You should be aware that applying for a job in the aforementioned areas is an offence, and you will be guilty of attempting to obtain work in a regulated position while under a Disqualification Order.

Criminal Records Check

Anyone wishing to work with young children or the vulnerable may be subject to a CRB (Criminal Records Bureau) check by a prospective employer. However, only organisations registered with the Criminal Records Bureau can apply for criminal records checks. This check will detail any criminal offences committed by an individual, and also reveal any cautions, reprimands or warnings that have occurred.

Should a prospective employer not heed the instructions of the Disqualification Order and employ an individual with an order, they would also be breaking the law.If a perspective employer requests a CRB check on you and you refuse, your application will probably be refused.

For more information about CRB checks, contact your local authority or visit the directgov website.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
Why not be the first to leave a comment for discussion, ask for advice or share your story...

If you'd like to ask a question one of our experts (workload permitting) or a helpful reader hopefully can help you... We also love comments and interesting stories

(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • Kev
    Re: Should we Still Pay Maintenance?
    Hi.my son is 17 at the moment and will be 18 in december. He currently attends an automotive level 2 college course for 9 hrs…
    25 September 2017
  • Cp123
    Re: The Rights of Working Parents
    I've recently asked to change my shifts so they work around school hours 9-3 twice a week and to work a weekend day. As I single…
    25 September 2017
  • LawAndParents
    Re: Could a Child Choose Which Parent to Live With?
    Chocpenguin - Your Question:I have a problem my brothers partner has 4 kids 2 of which are my brothers.…
    25 September 2017
  • Dazsteele
    Re: Should we Still Pay Maintenance?
    I am currently paying aliment to my ex wife for my daughter (20) who has just started university, my daughter works part time…
    25 September 2017
  • LawAndParents
    Re: Underage Sex: How to Protect Your Children
    Holly - Your Question:Hi at the age of 15 I had sex and ended up having a child at 16with someone that was 18 At…
    25 September 2017
  • Ribs
    Re: Should we Still Pay Maintenance?
    I have three children living who moved to Portugal with their mother in 2002/2003. The oldest child is 24 years old, 25 in…
    25 September 2017
  • aa17
    Re: Changing a Child's Surname
    Hi my daughters biologic father has had no contact with her since she was 3 she is now 8 , she is known as with my husband surname…
    25 September 2017
  • Sammyloo
    Re: Your Rights as a Grandparent
    My granddaughter has been taken in to foster care. Can I see my granddaughter as social services won’t give me any information at…
    25 September 2017
  • LawAndParents
    Re: Legal Entitlement to Child Benefit and Tax Credits
    Pops - Your Question:Hi, am I entitled to claim any child tax credits as my children live with me 3…
    25 September 2017
  • Debbie
    Re: Prohibited Steps Orders
    My ex says he is taking out a prohibited steps order to stop me moving in with my partner and taking our 10 year old daughter with me. He…
    25 September 2017
Further Reading...
Our Most Popular...
Add to my Yahoo!
Add to Google
Stumble this
Add to Twitter
Add To Facebook
RSS feed
You should seek independent professional advice before acting upon any information on the LawAndParents website. Please read our Disclaimer.