Home > Child Protection > What is a Supervision Period?

What is a Supervision Period?

By: Angela Armes - Updated: 10 Oct 2012 | comments*Discuss
Period Of Supervision Supervision

Many Young Offenders who are sent to a Young Offenders Institute are required to be supervised upon their released back into the community. Known as a Supervision Period, its aim is to reduce the chances that the young person will reoffend, help them to find gainful employment, and integrate them back into the community.

When a Young Offender appears before a magistrate, he or she will be sentenced to a period of time in a Young Offenders' Institute (YOI) where they will receive help and support and assistance in rehabilitation. At the time of sentencing, a magistrate can introduce a period of detention whereby the Young Offender will be sent to a YOI if he or she is a persistence offender.

Detention and Training Orders

A detention and training order is put in place by a magistrate to act as a guide as to how long the offender will have to spend in a YOI. This order details what course of action is to be taken by the staff of the YOI during the offender’s stay. This may include a series of rehabilitation classes and/or a means of weaning the individual off drugs or alcohol which may have been a contributing factor in their imprisonment to begin with.

Period of Supervision upon Release

When an individual has served their sentence – be it in it’s entirety or up to the point where probation is granted – he or she becomes the subject of a Supervision Period, and will be supervised by one of the following:

During this time any of the aforementioned will be asked to supervise the individual in question as they try to readjust to being part of the community again. In addition, a social worker, probation officer or youth offending team officer may be called upon to help assist the individual in question as they try to find suitable work or indeed return to school.

Also during this period of supervision, the individual in question may be required to visit their local police station on a set date at a set time in order to prove that they have not left the area and may also be subject to Curfew Notices. If this is the case, then any of the aforementioned individuals may be obliged – in accordance with the wishes of the magistrate – to check on them in order to establish if he or she is adhering to the conditions of their period of supervision.

If they are found to be in flagrant breach of the conditions set down by the magistrate, then he or she may be liable to be returned to the Young Offenders' Institute or to an adult prison depending on their age.

For more information, contact your local Social Services department or member of your local Youth Offending Team.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
Why not be the first to leave a comment for discussion, ask for advice or share your story...

If you'd like to ask a question one of our experts (workload permitting) or a helpful reader hopefully can help you... We also love comments and interesting stories

(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • Sarky71
    Re: The Law & Child Discipline
    My son is 15 and has an ASD, he has been to five different schools, including a specialist resource and now attends a school for…
    20 November 2019
  • Camster18
    Re: Should we Still Pay Maintenance?
    If you 18 year old daughter becomes pregnant but still in full time education. Do I still need to pay.
    19 November 2019
  • Kush
    Re: Legal Entitlement to Child Benefit and Tax Credits
    Hey, my 16 year old daughter is in full time education however she enjoys modelling and she also gets…
    18 November 2019
  • Anonymous
    Re: Smacking Your Children
    Hey so my parents occasionally slap me as a result of bad behaviour, rarely my mum bet my dad does it the most and i am a young teen…
    18 November 2019
  • Tostie
    Re: What Are The Legal Rights of a Father?
    My partner and I have been in a relationship for 16months, he and his wife have three children (6yrs and twins…
    17 November 2019
  • Boo
    Re: Your Rights as a Grandparent
    Hi I am a nanny to my beautifull 2 year old grandaughter. My son and her mummy have recently seperated. There are constant…
    16 November 2019
  • Mandamoo
    Re: Understanding Truancy Laws
    I really need to know if I have to pay for home tutor if I teach m daughter myself her school as me hounded now over her being off…
    13 November 2019
  • Mandatory
    Re: Understanding Truancy Laws
    My daughter has fell out with 7 friends well one really but she always BULLYS other to do what she wants am not gonna end my daughter…
    13 November 2019
  • Smiley
    Re: What Rights do I Have as a Grandparent?
    I have a 1 yr old grandson in foster care mum had a accident at home i am grandma trying to get sgo unfortunately…
    13 November 2019
  • Spud
    Re: Should we Still Pay Maintenance?
    Hi, I'm currently paying maintenance 4 my 18yr old son , how do I find out if he is still in full time education,I think he…
    11 November 2019