Home > Child Protection > What is a Custodianship Order?

What is a Custodianship Order?

By: Angela Armes - Updated: 31 May 2011 | comments*Discuss
Custodianship Order Custodianship

There may be times when it is necessary to have a child looked after by another adult due to bereavement, the fact that the child’s parent or parents cannot cope, or because the child has been abandoned. This may lead to the courts to issuing a Custodianship Order.

What is a Custodianship Order?

A Custodianship Order is the awarding of custody of a child or children to an adult – be they one of the parents or another family member – in order that the children may receive the care and attention that is needed. This is more favourably looked upon then having the children removed from their family home and Placed In Care.

A Custodianship Order can also be used in order to enforce proceedings where one or other parent is responsible for Paying Maintenance but does not pay it. In this instance, a fine of up to £1,000 can be levied by the magistrate if such maintenance is not paid.

Who Gets Custody?

If a Custodianship Order is issued it will be to adults – usually a couple – who are suited to care for the child or children and who can provide them with the upbringing that is necessary for them to flourish. The magistrate overseeing the case will make his or her decision based upon reports provided to him by social workers, members of the Children’s Court and also by family members who may have a vested interest in the children’s upbringing.

After he or she has heard all the evidence, the magistrate will make a Custodianship Order which will then come into force. If the magistrate feels there are sufficient grounds to prevent the children from remaining within the family, he or she may make an order whereby the children are removed into care or placed with Foster Parents for a set period of time.

If this is the case, the parents of the children involved may not be allowed to have access to their children, especially if there is suspicion of abused – either emotional or physical.

Custodianship Orders and the State

If a magistrate issues a Custodianship Order but gives custody of the children to the local authority, it is their job to ensure that the children are cared for and placed within an environment where they can receive all the necessary care and attention they need. This may be with foster parents or they may be placed in a children’s home which can be either run by the local authority or by a private charitable institution.

During their time in the care of the local authority the children are monitored by Social Services and the Children’s Court to ensure they are receiving the best care and that the environment in which they have been placed is having no adverse effects on their wellbeing or upbringing.

Adoption or Custodianship?

Depending on the circumstances under which the children have become vulnerable, there may be a possibility of adoption. This is very much indicative of whether or not the individuals applying for custody feel they could cope on a full-time permanent basis or whether temporary custodianship would be best for them.

Either way, the option may be applicable if there is doubt as to whether or not the child’s real parents are going to be able to have their child return to the family home or indeed if the parents are alive.

These again are options that should best be discussed with a solicitor specialising in family law. Alternatively, you should contact your local authority and social services for more help and advice.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
Why not be the first to leave a comment for discussion, ask for advice or share your story...

If you'd like to ask a question one of our experts (workload permitting) or a helpful reader hopefully can help you... We also love comments and interesting stories

(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • Kev
    Re: Should we Still Pay Maintenance?
    Hi.my son is 17 at the moment and will be 18 in december. He currently attends an automotive level 2 college course for 9 hrs…
    25 September 2017
  • Cp123
    Re: The Rights of Working Parents
    I've recently asked to change my shifts so they work around school hours 9-3 twice a week and to work a weekend day. As I single…
    25 September 2017
  • LawAndParents
    Re: Could a Child Choose Which Parent to Live With?
    Chocpenguin - Your Question:I have a problem my brothers partner has 4 kids 2 of which are my brothers.…
    25 September 2017
  • Dazsteele
    Re: Should we Still Pay Maintenance?
    I am currently paying aliment to my ex wife for my daughter (20) who has just started university, my daughter works part time…
    25 September 2017
  • LawAndParents
    Re: Underage Sex: How to Protect Your Children
    Holly - Your Question:Hi at the age of 15 I had sex and ended up having a child at 16with someone that was 18 At…
    25 September 2017
  • Ribs
    Re: Should we Still Pay Maintenance?
    I have three children living who moved to Portugal with their mother in 2002/2003. The oldest child is 24 years old, 25 in…
    25 September 2017
  • aa17
    Re: Changing a Child's Surname
    Hi my daughters biologic father has had no contact with her since she was 3 she is now 8 , she is known as with my husband surname…
    25 September 2017
  • Sammyloo
    Re: Your Rights as a Grandparent
    My granddaughter has been taken in to foster care. Can I see my granddaughter as social services won’t give me any information at…
    25 September 2017
  • LawAndParents
    Re: Legal Entitlement to Child Benefit and Tax Credits
    Pops - Your Question:Hi, am I entitled to claim any child tax credits as my children live with me 3…
    25 September 2017
  • Debbie
    Re: Prohibited Steps Orders
    My ex says he is taking out a prohibited steps order to stop me moving in with my partner and taking our 10 year old daughter with me. He…
    25 September 2017
Further Reading...
Our Most Popular...
Add to my Yahoo!
Add to Google
Stumble this
Add to Twitter
Add To Facebook
RSS feed
You should seek independent professional advice before acting upon any information on the LawAndParents website. Please read our Disclaimer.