Home > Child Protection > Child Safety Orders

Child Safety Orders

By: Angela Armes - Updated: 18 Oct 2016 | comments*Discuss
Child Safety Order Cso Asbo Anti-social

It is difficult to comprehend that children under 10 years of age would engage in criminal activities or behaviour that would make them known to the police, but unfortunately that is the case.

To help deal with the problem the Child Safety Order (CSO) has been set in place. This is a court order aimed at children of 10 years of age and under to stop them becoming involved in anti-social behaviour. A Child Safety Order is used when there are no other means available of trying to ensure the cessation of any behaviour considered to be criminal by a child.

Why are Child Safety Orders Granted?

A CSO will be granted if there is sufficient concerns about the behaviour of a child in the care of his or her family. If there is reason to suspect that the child's behaviour is a direct result of problems within the family unit, a Child Safety Order may be issued by the Family Proceedings Court in order to allow for the intervention and supervision of either local authority and/or Youth Offending Teams.

The implementation of a Child Safety Order is the equivalent to an Anti-Social Behaviour Order and as such carries with it similar terms and conditions.

For example, under the terms of a Child Safety Order the child governed by it may not:

  • Be seen to be in a particular area without relevant adult supervision
  • Be outside the family home after a designated time – reminiscent of a Curfew
  • Be seen to be in the company of other children considered to be influential to the child
  • Be absent from school without good reason or prior knowledge of both school and parents

Depending on the nature of the child's behaviour and the reasons behind the implementation of the Child Safety Order, there may be other conditions entered into. The aforementioned are some of the most common.

What Happens if a Child Safety Order is Breached?

As the child under the supervision of a Child Safety Order is not of prosecutable age, he or she is not liable to any criminal proceedings if conditions of the order are broken. However, given specific circumstances, the local authority involved may pursue – in conjunction with the court – a Parenting Order which in turn makes the parents responsible for the behaviour of the child.

The idea of a Parenting Order is to encourage the child's parents to make sure that he or she abides by the conditions laid down, and failure to do so may result in the handing down of a fine which can be a minimum of £1,000. In certain circumstances which are indicative of particular unruly behaviour, both a Child Safety Order and Parenting Order may be implemented as a means of combating behaviour that constitutes anti-social and criminal behaviour.

For further information, contact your local authority, Community police officer or Youth Offending Team.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
[Add a Comment]
scottyboy - Your Question:
Hi can anyone help me just found out the foster careres took our kids on holiday without our permission can anyone let me know what my rights are to put a stop to this plz as am not happy

Our Response:
Unless specific conditions have been put in place stating that permission should be sought, then yes they can take the foster children on holiday. Why are you not happy about this? Did your children not enjoy the holiday?
LawAndParents - 20-Oct-16 @ 2:22 PM
hi can anyone help me just found out the foster careres took our kids on holiday without our permission can anyone let me know what my rights are to put a stop to thisplz as am not happy
scottyboy - 18-Oct-16 @ 8:09 PM
Mam or sir Small doubt my wife house talking for my first daughter education.But I can't not accept for this.I am take care for mychild.Age 7 years.how to solve this problem. Then any way they didn't come my way. Any ideas please tell me.
vichu - 7-Oct-16 @ 9:42 PM
Writer - Your Question:
If a person finds an abandoned child and keeps it, treating it nicely and caring for it, what happens to this person when the child is turned in to the authorities, especially if the person crossed state lines with the child?

Our Response:
Sorry but this is a UK based site, so we cannot advise onnon UK issues. If that were to happen here in the UK, you'd be charged with abduction.
LawAndParents - 6-Jun-16 @ 11:11 AM
If a person finds an abandoned child and keeps it, treating it nicely and caring for it, what happens to this person when the child is turned in to the authorities, especially if the person crossed state lines with the child?
Writer - 3-Jun-16 @ 5:57 PM
i have a 13yr old granddaughter who keeps running away from home and getting into trouble she keeps saying she wants to go into care as one of her friends is in care,she as said she doesnt want to stay with mum so mum as asked me to look after her because she can not cope.i did have her stay with me for 2wks only for mum to demand her home so no changes happened and she was in trouble again with-in the week she returned home,social services are involved now and ive been told i will have to go to court to get her so her mum can not demand her back, as a grandmother i am worried about her and need to know my rights to go forward....thankyou
chrisy - 8-Aug-15 @ 5:50 PM
@chey. It would not be advisable to go to the UK if your father is not living here...unless your mother is a British Citizen (you have not mentioned whether she is or not). The UK courts would not be able to help unless you father can be traced and if he is living in the UK (and is a British citizen). By that time you may also be too old to be eligible for child support from him.
LawAndParents - 29-Oct-14 @ 11:29 AM
Hi, i have been wanting to know what are my rights, or what is the best advise you can give me, i am 17 years old,my father abandoned me and my mother for almost 10 years,they are legally married in court,the last time we heard his in the Middle East. My mother has been supporting me,but she cannot hardly send me to school, as her salary is not enough. Do i stand a chance to be helped as i am here in the Philippines, i still cannot afford to go to U.K. is there an organization that can help me? I feel deprived of my rights to child support and education as a British citizen. is going to U.K. the best thing to do? I would appreciate to hear a legal advise directly from U.K. Thankyou for your time.
Chey - 27-Oct-14 @ 6:40 AM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • Kev
    Re: Should we Still Pay Maintenance?
    Hi.my son is 17 at the moment and will be 18 in december. He currently attends an automotive level 2 college course for 9 hrs…
    25 September 2017
  • Cp123
    Re: The Rights of Working Parents
    I've recently asked to change my shifts so they work around school hours 9-3 twice a week and to work a weekend day. As I single…
    25 September 2017
  • LawAndParents
    Re: Could a Child Choose Which Parent to Live With?
    Chocpenguin - Your Question:I have a problem my brothers partner has 4 kids 2 of which are my brothers.…
    25 September 2017
  • Dazsteele
    Re: Should we Still Pay Maintenance?
    I am currently paying aliment to my ex wife for my daughter (20) who has just started university, my daughter works part time…
    25 September 2017
  • LawAndParents
    Re: Underage Sex: How to Protect Your Children
    Holly - Your Question:Hi at the age of 15 I had sex and ended up having a child at 16with someone that was 18 At…
    25 September 2017
  • Ribs
    Re: Should we Still Pay Maintenance?
    I have three children living who moved to Portugal with their mother in 2002/2003. The oldest child is 24 years old, 25 in…
    25 September 2017
  • aa17
    Re: Changing a Child's Surname
    Hi my daughters biologic father has had no contact with her since she was 3 she is now 8 , she is known as with my husband surname…
    25 September 2017
  • Sammyloo
    Re: Your Rights as a Grandparent
    My granddaughter has been taken in to foster care. Can I see my granddaughter as social services won’t give me any information at…
    25 September 2017
  • LawAndParents
    Re: Legal Entitlement to Child Benefit and Tax Credits
    Pops - Your Question:Hi, am I entitled to claim any child tax credits as my children live with me 3…
    25 September 2017
  • Debbie
    Re: Prohibited Steps Orders
    My ex says he is taking out a prohibited steps order to stop me moving in with my partner and taking our 10 year old daughter with me. He…
    25 September 2017
Further Reading...
Our Most Popular...
Add to my Yahoo!
Add to Google
Stumble this
Add to Twitter
Add To Facebook
RSS feed
You should seek independent professional advice before acting upon any information on the LawAndParents website. Please read our Disclaimer.