Home > Behaviour > What is an Anti-Social Behaviour Order?

What is an Anti-Social Behaviour Order?

By: Angela Armes - Updated: 25 May 2011 | comments*Discuss
Anti-social Behaviour Orders Asbo Asbos

Many of us are now familiar with the term Anti-Social Behaviour Order, but what is it designed to do and under what circumstances is an ASBO issued?

An Anti-Social Behaviour Order (ASBO) is a legally binding agreement between a person or persons who have committed acts of anti-social behaviour and the police. Originally implemented as part of section 1 of the Crime and Disorder Act 1999, ASBOs are designed to reduce the likelihood that an individual will reoffend. ASBOs can be issued to adults and children as young as 10 years old.

What Constitutes Anti-Social Behaviour

Anti-social behaviour can be any act that causes a nuisance or disturbance to those living in and around a surrounding area. Such acts of anti-social behaviour can take on many different forms and the list that follows is a comprehensive – but not exhaustive list – of the events which can be considered anti-social activities:

  • Graffiti
  • Vandalism
  • Destruction of private or public property
  • Using intimidating verbal language
  • Using intimidating body language in a threatening manner
  • Causing excessive noise, especially during the hours of 11.00pm and 7.00am
  • The consumption of alcohol of drugs in a public area
  • Selling or dealing drugs in a public area
  • Litter and fly-tipping
  • Setting off fireworks late at night

Issuing an Anti-Social Behaviour Order

An ASBO will be issued if the individual in question is charged and taken before a magistrate. At this time a magistrate – who may also hand down a sentence of community service or a fine – will instigate proceedings to have an ASBO put in place. This agreement must be met on all counts by the individual and failure to do so can constitute a break in the agreement, which in itself is considered to be a criminal offence.

The issuing of such an order can also come with a curfew which states that the individual must not be in or around a particular area after a designated time in the evening.

The ASBO may also determine that an individual must not have contact with a designated number of individuals, all of whom can be issued with ASBOs themselves if there is a degree of certainty that they will cause further anti-social behaviour as a group.

Such a break in the conditions as laid down by a magistrate can result in the individual being returned to court where a harsher punishment may be imposed. In some cases, the punishment may include a custodial sentence to be served in a Young Offenders institution if the individual is not old enough to qualify for time to be spent in the adult prison system.

For more information about Anti-Social Behaviour Orders, contact your local Youth Offending Team or community police officer.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
Why not be the first to leave a comment for discussion, ask for advice or share your story...

If you'd like to ask a question one of our experts (workload permitting) or a helpful reader hopefully can help you... We also love comments and interesting stories

(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • Kev
    Re: Should we Still Pay Maintenance?
    Hi.my son is 17 at the moment and will be 18 in december. He currently attends an automotive level 2 college course for 9 hrs…
    25 September 2017
  • Cp123
    Re: The Rights of Working Parents
    I've recently asked to change my shifts so they work around school hours 9-3 twice a week and to work a weekend day. As I single…
    25 September 2017
  • LawAndParents
    Re: Could a Child Choose Which Parent to Live With?
    Chocpenguin - Your Question:I have a problem my brothers partner has 4 kids 2 of which are my brothers.…
    25 September 2017
  • Dazsteele
    Re: Should we Still Pay Maintenance?
    I am currently paying aliment to my ex wife for my daughter (20) who has just started university, my daughter works part time…
    25 September 2017
  • LawAndParents
    Re: Underage Sex: How to Protect Your Children
    Holly - Your Question:Hi at the age of 15 I had sex and ended up having a child at 16with someone that was 18 At…
    25 September 2017
  • Ribs
    Re: Should we Still Pay Maintenance?
    I have three children living who moved to Portugal with their mother in 2002/2003. The oldest child is 24 years old, 25 in…
    25 September 2017
  • aa17
    Re: Changing a Child's Surname
    Hi my daughters biologic father has had no contact with her since she was 3 she is now 8 , she is known as with my husband surname…
    25 September 2017
  • Sammyloo
    Re: Your Rights as a Grandparent
    My granddaughter has been taken in to foster care. Can I see my granddaughter as social services won’t give me any information at…
    25 September 2017
  • LawAndParents
    Re: Legal Entitlement to Child Benefit and Tax Credits
    Pops - Your Question:Hi, am I entitled to claim any child tax credits as my children live with me 3…
    25 September 2017
  • Debbie
    Re: Prohibited Steps Orders
    My ex says he is taking out a prohibited steps order to stop me moving in with my partner and taking our 10 year old daughter with me. He…
    25 September 2017
Further Reading...
Our Most Popular...
Add to my Yahoo!
Add to Google
Stumble this
Add to Twitter
Add To Facebook
RSS feed
You should seek independent professional advice before acting upon any information on the LawAndParents website. Please read our Disclaimer.