Home > Behaviour > Public Nuisance Offences

Public Nuisance Offences

By: Angela Armes - Updated: 10 Oct 2012 | comments*Discuss
Public Nuisance Offences Public Nuisance

Public Nuisance Offences are offences committed – normally by minors – that cause a disturbance of the peace, damage to private or public property and deemed to represent anti-social behaviour. Such offences are often committed by groups of children who are to be found loitering in and around housing estates and areas where there is little in the way of recreational stimulation. Some of the offences that constitute Public Nuisance Offences include:

  • Playing loud music
  • Playing ball games late at night
  • Graffiti
  • Vandalism
  • Damage to motor vehicles
  • Racial abuse
  • Verbal Abuse
  • Trespass
  • Bullying of other children

Dispersal Orders

In the event that such offences are regularly taking place within a specific area, the police – in conjunction with local council – can issue what is known as a Dispersal Order. This order basically acts as a curfew and enables the police to stop and question any individual thought to be of a particular age group without probable cause.

Dispersal Orders also offer the police the right to ask the individual where they have been, what they have been doing, and who they have been with. Failure to answer these questions satisfactorily can result in the police removing the individual from the area and detaining them in a holding cell, while attempts are made to contact their parents.

If an offence has been reported in that area, and the individual is suspected as being one of those involved, he or she may be detained until an appropriate adult can be contacted.

Acceptable Behaviour Contracts

If a minor has been detained or found to have been responsible for the committing of a Public Nuisance Offence, they can be offered the opportunity of voluntarily agreeing to an Acceptable Behaviour Contract (ABC). This contract is signed by both the individual in question and their parents, and an agreement is entered into by these parties and the police and Youth Offending Team.

This ABC may include details of a curfew or exclusion request which, if agreed to, means that the individual involved cannot be in a particular place after a designated time, or simply cannot be in that area at all.

Anti-Social Behaviour Orders

Anti-Social Behaviour Orders (ASBOs) are issued by a magistrate. If the individual responsible is not of an age where they can be sentenced to a custodial sentence, then the magistrate may issue an ASBO which will detail a list of things they must not do for the duration of the order.

An ASBO may detail curfew times, areas that the offender should avoid, as well as ordering the individual involved to pay damages and/or undergo a period of counselling or rehabilitation.

However, unlike an ABC, an ASBO is a legally binding order issued by the courts. As such, breaching the conditions of an ASBO may result in further criminal proceedings and/or sentencing to a Young Offenders Institution.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
Why not be the first to leave a comment for discussion, ask for advice or share your story...

If you'd like to ask a question one of our experts (workload permitting) or a helpful reader hopefully can help you... We also love comments and interesting stories

(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • Feelingnumb
    Re: Applying for Child Custody
    I currently have 3 children in foster care and i am 30 weeks pregnant. Im not going to deny or beat around the bush the reason for…
    17 August 2018
  • Nick
    Re: Should we Still Pay Maintenance?
    My daughter has turned 18, finished her A levels this summer, she is not going to Uni and is now looking for employment, I…
    16 August 2018
  • Purple
    Re: Applying for Child Custody
    My daughter is 12, I ended an abusive relationship with her father when she was 3. I had to get an emergency injunction at the time…
    16 August 2018
  • Kerky90
    Re: Paying Maintenance or Child Support
    My partner has a son with his ex we have two children together (I’m on materity leave) my partners son stays with us 3…
    15 August 2018
  • Mic
    Re: Should we Still Pay Maintenance?
    My son is 18 he finished college in June he was doing a full time course, while he was at college he worked part time - hours…
    15 August 2018
  • Meens
    Re: What are my Ex-Partners Visitation Rights?
    Hi, my daughters dad has never really made an efford he fits her in when he can be bothered, he has recently…
    15 August 2018
  • Mushyebt
    Re: What Are The Legal Rights of a Father?
    My daughter's father and I split before she was born..i made sure he has always had access to her, right from the…
    14 August 2018
  • C909
    Re: Paying Maintenance or Child Support
    Hi just need a bit of advice, I currently give my ex £180 per month so that she has income to support our 2 and a half…
    14 August 2018
  • LawAndParents
    Re: Child Abandonment and the Law
    T - Your Question:Hi, I have been left in a situation I don't have answers to my ex partner has expressed countless times that…
    14 August 2018
  • LawAndParents
    Re: What Are The Legal Rights of a Father?
    RjNottm - Your Question:I haven’t seen my son in 8 years due to no contact with my ex I have now managed to find…
    14 August 2018