Home > Children's Rights > Children in Care

Children in Care

By: Angela Armes - Updated: 11 Dec 2016 | comments*Discuss
Children In Care Foster Homes Care Homes

It is important to take into consideration the reasons why a child might be taken into care and also what can be done to return a child to their family home if they have been taken into care.

Care Orders

A care order is issued when there is reason for a child or children to be taken into care and looked after under the umbrella of the local authority. In essence, a care order is a legally binding order that gives the local authority temporary guardianship over the child or children, and enables the authority to make whatever decisions are necessary as to the child's wellbeing.

Where Do Children in Care Live?

This is something that the local authority will decide upon once they have been awarded temporary Guardianship. For the most part the choice of how to house a child taken into care is one of three.

  • Foster Homes
  • Children's Homes
  • Living with a Relative

Foster Homes

A foster home is normal home children go to for a temporary period when they can't stay with their own parents. Foster couples who can be married, cohabiting or same sex partners, and will be vetted by the Local Authority to ensure suitability and also to judge what strengths and weaknesses they have as temporary guardians.

Children's Homes

Children's homes can be run directly by the Local Authority or can be maintained by charitable or private organisations with assistance from the Local Authority.

There is a common misconception that living in a children's home can be almost like living under a regime, but the truth of the matter is that children's homes attempt to maintain as much a semblance of normality for the children living in them as possible. The children attend local schools as they would normally, and are encouraged where possible to continue to integrate into the community.

Living with a Relative

Where possible, the Local Authority will try to place a child with a family member who can provide them with stability and a sense of continuity. This family member may be an aunt, a sister or even a grandmother, but again the Local Authority will make the decision based upon the information given to them and also based upon the wishes of the child or children involved.

If, however, there is an issue regarding parental interference, then the Local Authority may well decline an application by a family member and opt for the placement of the children in either a foster home or a children's home.

It is important to remember that although the taking of children into care is something that no parent wishes to contemplate, it can sometimes be the only way of ensuring the safety of a child or children.

And also it is important to consider that the removal of children from their family home is a very last resort. All other avenues of securing the children's safety will be explored to the fullest before such a decision is reached.

For more information, contact your local Social Services department or Local Authority.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
[Add a Comment]
How can I prove to a court that I wasn't presented with a EPO when social services came to remove my child from my care. I wasn't given this or even allowed to see one. What can I do now that after three years and my child on a full care order?
Saoirse - 11-Dec-16 @ 12:38 AM
My son and stepson are in care how can I fight to get them home due I To lies and also they taken my daughter who has downsydome away and put her up for adoption so they say
non - 12-Apr-16 @ 9:27 AM
Stacey Leanne - Your Question:
My daughter of 6 is living with her father but has said she wants to live with me. Would the courts take notice of this with her being so young

Our Response:
They would not be likely to interview her in court but would listen to both parents' viewpoints and if necessary order further investigations before making a decision.
LawAndParents - 7-Oct-15 @ 10:17 AM
My daughter of 6 is living with her father but has said she wants to live with me. Would the courts take notice of this with her being so young
Stacey Leanne - 6-Oct-15 @ 11:54 AM
izzey - Your Question:
Can social services keep my children from me because they will be trumitized by not seeing me after 2 year with no fault of my own

Our Response:
Sorry but as we do not know the circumstances of your case, we cannot really make any useful comment. Have you tried contact social services to find out what happens next or whether you can apply to have them back at any point? Someone from Citizens' Advice Bureau may be able to help.
LawAndParents - 20-Aug-15 @ 11:14 AM
Can social services keep my children from me because they will be trumitized by not seeing me after 2 year with no fault of my own
izzey - 19-Aug-15 @ 12:36 PM
What is the difference if a child gets injured in care whilst with the foster carer or when visiting relatives. If a child sustains 2mm bruising to his/her back whilst with relatives, or massive bruising to the head whilst with a foster carer. What is the standard procedure that should be adhered to if either injury is not reported.
Spaldog - 8-Oct-13 @ 2:23 PM
Hi my name is wilbert pollard can my moms friend adopt me if at a cayit determend I have to go to a residenchI or can my grandmother adopt me please email soon
Will - 18-Jul-12 @ 12:15 AM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • Kev
    Re: Should we Still Pay Maintenance?
    Hi.my son is 17 at the moment and will be 18 in december. He currently attends an automotive level 2 college course for 9 hrs…
    25 September 2017
  • Cp123
    Re: The Rights of Working Parents
    I've recently asked to change my shifts so they work around school hours 9-3 twice a week and to work a weekend day. As I single…
    25 September 2017
  • LawAndParents
    Re: Could a Child Choose Which Parent to Live With?
    Chocpenguin - Your Question:I have a problem my brothers partner has 4 kids 2 of which are my brothers.…
    25 September 2017
  • Dazsteele
    Re: Should we Still Pay Maintenance?
    I am currently paying aliment to my ex wife for my daughter (20) who has just started university, my daughter works part time…
    25 September 2017
  • LawAndParents
    Re: Underage Sex: How to Protect Your Children
    Holly - Your Question:Hi at the age of 15 I had sex and ended up having a child at 16with someone that was 18 At…
    25 September 2017
  • Ribs
    Re: Should we Still Pay Maintenance?
    I have three children living who moved to Portugal with their mother in 2002/2003. The oldest child is 24 years old, 25 in…
    25 September 2017
  • aa17
    Re: Changing a Child's Surname
    Hi my daughters biologic father has had no contact with her since she was 3 she is now 8 , she is known as with my husband surname…
    25 September 2017
  • Sammyloo
    Re: Your Rights as a Grandparent
    My granddaughter has been taken in to foster care. Can I see my granddaughter as social services won’t give me any information at…
    25 September 2017
  • LawAndParents
    Re: Legal Entitlement to Child Benefit and Tax Credits
    Pops - Your Question:Hi, am I entitled to claim any child tax credits as my children live with me 3…
    25 September 2017
  • Debbie
    Re: Prohibited Steps Orders
    My ex says he is taking out a prohibited steps order to stop me moving in with my partner and taking our 10 year old daughter with me. He…
    25 September 2017
Further Reading...
Our Most Popular...
Add to my Yahoo!
Add to Google
Stumble this
Add to Twitter
Add To Facebook
RSS feed
You should seek independent professional advice before acting upon any information on the LawAndParents website. Please read our Disclaimer.