Home > Children & The Law > Curfew Notices for Children

Curfew Notices for Children

By: Angela Armes - Updated: 10 Oct 2012 | comments*Discuss
Curfew Notices Dispersal Orders Local

In certain circumstances, especially those relating to anti-social behaviour, your local council, in conjunction with the police, may issue Curfew Notices. As the name might suggest, a Curfew Notice (known in some areas as a Dispersal Order) is designed to enforce a curfew in a particular area; most likely an area where offences against property and people are carried out in the evening and late night. Under a Curfew Notice, anyone at or below a designated age may be stopped and questioned by the police without necessary cause.

Anti-Social Offences

The purpose of the Curfew Notice Scheme is to alleviate the number of offenders who may be loitering in a particular area and be likely to cause either public order or Anti-Social Behaviour Offences. These offences include:
  • Producing graffiti
  • Racial abuse
  • Damage to private or public property
  • Excessive noise
  • Bullying
  • Trespass
  • Underage drinking

How Curfew Notices are Enforced

A Curfew Notice can be enforced by any officer within an area where a Curfew Notice has been obtained. They may reasonably execute this Curfew Notice if they feel that the individual in their custody has been – or is likely to be – involved in the committing of an offence which contravenes the nature of the Curfew Notice as laid down by the police, the council and the Secretary of State.

A suspected offender may be detained if the officer who has stopped them believes there is reasonable doubt in the legitimacy of the information they have provided, such as name, address, date of birth, and the reason for being at the location. If the offender refuses to comply with requests for information, they may be detained and taken to their nearest police station.

If, however, they provide information which is confirmed by the officer who has detained them, they may reasonably expect to be escorted to their home address, at which time the officer will speak to the offender’s parents – or Guardian – and issue a caution as to the nature of further breaches of the Curfew Notice.

Curfew Notices and Truancy

Curfew Notices are also used as a means to combat truancy in areas where there are high truancy levels and problems caused by those playing truant. If an officer suspects that a child or group of children are playing truant from school, he or she may reasonably be expected to remove them to a designated location, such as the office of a school welfare officer, where every attempt will be made to contact the parents or guardians of those involved.

The repeated contravening of these Curfew Notices, in particular by the same individuals, may result in the local authority issuing notices of eviction in accordance with the conditions set forth by the Secretary of State.

If you require more information on Curfew Notices and whether there are any in force in your community, contact your local council offices or community police officer.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
Why not be the first to leave a comment for discussion, ask for advice or share your story...

If you'd like to ask a question one of our experts (workload permitting) or a helpful reader hopefully can help you... We also love comments and interesting stories

(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • Feelingnumb
    Re: Applying for Child Custody
    I currently have 3 children in foster care and i am 30 weeks pregnant. Im not going to deny or beat around the bush the reason for…
    17 August 2018
  • Nick
    Re: Should we Still Pay Maintenance?
    My daughter has turned 18, finished her A levels this summer, she is not going to Uni and is now looking for employment, I…
    16 August 2018
  • Purple
    Re: Applying for Child Custody
    My daughter is 12, I ended an abusive relationship with her father when she was 3. I had to get an emergency injunction at the time…
    16 August 2018
  • Kerky90
    Re: Paying Maintenance or Child Support
    My partner has a son with his ex we have two children together (I’m on materity leave) my partners son stays with us 3…
    15 August 2018
  • Mic
    Re: Should we Still Pay Maintenance?
    My son is 18 he finished college in June he was doing a full time course, while he was at college he worked part time - hours…
    15 August 2018
  • Meens
    Re: What are my Ex-Partners Visitation Rights?
    Hi, my daughters dad has never really made an efford he fits her in when he can be bothered, he has recently…
    15 August 2018
  • Mushyebt
    Re: What Are The Legal Rights of a Father?
    My daughter's father and I split before she was born..i made sure he has always had access to her, right from the…
    14 August 2018
  • C909
    Re: Paying Maintenance or Child Support
    Hi just need a bit of advice, I currently give my ex £180 per month so that she has income to support our 2 and a half…
    14 August 2018
  • LawAndParents
    Re: Child Abandonment and the Law
    T - Your Question:Hi, I have been left in a situation I don't have answers to my ex partner has expressed countless times that…
    14 August 2018
  • LawAndParents
    Re: What Are The Legal Rights of a Father?
    RjNottm - Your Question:I haven’t seen my son in 8 years due to no contact with my ex I have now managed to find…
    14 August 2018
Further Reading...
Our Most Popular...
Add to my Yahoo!
Add to Google
Stumble this
Add to Twitter
Add To Facebook
RSS feed
You should seek independent professional advice before acting upon any information on the LawAndParents website. Please read our Disclaimer.