Home > Children & The Law > Combating Underage Drinking

Combating Underage Drinking

By: Angela Armes - Updated: 25 May 2011 | comments*Discuss
Underage Drinking Selling Alcohol To

Underage drinking has become an increasing problem in the UK in the last decade, with more than a third of 11 to 15 year olds admitting to drinking regularly. The problem has worsened due to the introduction of so-called 'alcopops' – alcoholic beverages that are a mixture of alcohol and fruit juice and are very easily consumed by minors.

How do I Know if my Child is Drinking?

Most children who drink underage will do so when there is little or no adult supervision, for example, when they are staying with friends. Some children will drink on the street and then come home and try to pass themselves off as being sober.

Here are a few tell-tale signs that can indicate if your child has been drinking:

  • Over-animated speech
  • Glassy eyes
  • Physical imbalance
  • Slurring of words
  • Trying to get upstairs without having to speak
  • Coming home late

What can I do to Prevent my Children Drinking?

This is a question that can have many answers and there are no right or wrong ones. Keeping an eye on your child's movements is perhaps the best course of action. If they have a mobile telephone, ask them to check in every couple of hours to ensure not only that they are safe but that they are sober.

Many underage drinkers are often caught out by their refusal to answer calls from home if they are out with friends. This can be seen as a rebellious streak but more often than not it is out of a desire not to be discovered doing or being somewhere they shouldn't.

If your child is going to a party or function, give them enough money to see them through the evening. Do not simply hand money over, as this is too tempting an opportunity to pass up.

Underage Drinking and the Law

Under new legislation, it is now an offence for under 18s to persistently possess alcohol in a public place. Police in England and Wales have the power to confiscate alcohol from underage drinkers, and they can move on groups of children aged 10-15 years old. Those selling alcohol to minors can be charged if they are caught committing the offence twice in three months (it was previously three times in three months before they could be prosecuted). In addition, local councillors can now call for a review to restrict or remove an alcohol retailer’s licence, if they are suspected of selling alcohol to minors.

What Should I do if I know Someone is Selling Alcohol to Minors?

Many people tend to give the individual or shop Selling Alcohol To A Minor the benefit of the doubt, especially if it transpires that the child has made themselves look much older than they are. However, all licensed premises, including pubs, clubs, supermarkets or corner shops, have a legal responsibility to ask for proof of identity and age. They should reasonably expect to refuse anyone who looks under age and cannot prove their age.

If you suspect someone is selling alcohol to minors, make it known to them that you are aware of the circumstances. Even if they do offer to ensure that the situation does not arise again, you should inform your local council or Trading Standards officer.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
Why not be the first to leave a comment for discussion, ask for advice or share your story...

If you'd like to ask a question one of our experts (workload permitting) or a helpful reader hopefully can help you... We also love comments and interesting stories

(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • Deirdre
    Re: Leaving Your Children Home Alone
    Hi, We have 5 children aged 17,15,13,10 &7. We have never left them home alone over night but we’re wondering at what point…
    24 June 2018
  • Dhug
    Re: Single Parents' Rights
    My son is always getting let down by his dad and when his dad does have him my son stays with someone else rather than with his dad. His…
    24 June 2018
  • Beth
    Re: Contact Orders & How They Affect Parents
    I live with a man who does not speak to me or the children, there's no eye contact, slams the door when he…
    24 June 2018
  • Nic
    Re: Should we Still Pay Maintenance?
    We pay csa but my partners daughter was 18 on September but going to collage but since June she is no longer going and she is…
    23 June 2018
  • Bobby
    Re: What Are The Legal Rights of a Father?
    Me and the father of my children have spilt up he’s recently brought a new house but he not tell me where and I was…
    23 June 2018
  • Jenny
    Re: Prohibited Steps Orders
    Hi! A prohibited steps was put in place 2013 to prevent my son's biological father from taking him. Within this prevents me from changing…
    23 June 2018
  • Chog
    Re: What Are The Legal Rights of a Father?
    I’ve a child almost 2 years never been with the father because of abusive relationship, he saw the child only three…
    22 June 2018
  • LawAndParents
    Re: Understanding Residence Orders
    Del - Your Question:My ex has a court order for full residence.My child is now 13 years old and wants to come back home and live…
    22 June 2018
  • Lostmother
    Re: Should we Still Pay Maintenance?
    hi, My daughters decided to leave my home and me to find a life with the father that deserted them 16 years ago and never…
    22 June 2018
  • LawAndParents
    Re: Should we Still Pay Maintenance?
    Gail - Your Question:My stepson left college in May. He is due to start an apprenticeship in July - this includes college one…
    22 June 2018
Further Reading...
Our Most Popular...
Add to my Yahoo!
Add to Google
Stumble this
Add to Twitter
Add To Facebook
RSS feed
You should seek independent professional advice before acting upon any information on the LawAndParents website. Please read our Disclaimer.