Home > Children & The Law > Dealing with Child Crime

Dealing with Child Crime

By: Angela Armes - Updated: 11 Apr 2013 | comments*Discuss
Law And Parents Prosecutable Age

In England, Wales and Northern Ireland, a child can be held accountable for a criminal offence from the age of 10. In Scotland, however, the age is currently 8 but is soon to be raised 12 years old.

Criminal Proceedings

Depending on the nature of the crime, there are several ways in which a child can be dealt with (see below). But if the crime involves bodily harm to another or indeed death, the crime is prosecutable in the same manner as it would be for an adult.

In recent years, there have been criminal proceedings brought against children who have accidentally – or purposefully – murdered other children, and under these conditions a trial and subsequent sentence in relation to that of an adult has taken place.

It is important to take into account how the law sees children and at what age the law determines that a child is responsible for his or her own actions.

Anti-Social Behaviour Offences

If a child is found to have committed an offence that constitutes an anti-social behaviour offence, he or she may find that they are issued with an Anti-Social Behaviour Order (ASBO).

Such an order is issued by a magistrate if there is sufficient evidence to suggest that the child may commit a similar offence, and therefore steps must be taken to reduce the likelihood of this being the case.

What Constitutes an Anti-Social Behaviour Offence?

An Anti-Social Behaviour Offence can be any one of the following:

  • Bullying
  • Vandalism
  • Joy Riding
  • Racial Abuse
  • Sexual Impropriety
  • Theft
  • Causing an Affray
  • Under-age Drinking
  • Graffiti
  • Mugging
  • Burglary

Of course, this is not a definitive list but it does aim to show those offences which are most often committed by children and minors who are detained by police.

Other Offences

If a child or minor commits an offence not listed among those already mentioned, he or she may be liable to a custodial sentence in a Young Offenders Centre.

A Young Offenders Centre is the juvenile equivalent to adult prison and any child or teenager held in such a centre may find that they are removed to an adult prison once they have reached the age of 18.

ASBOs and ABCs

Anti-Social Behaviour Orders (ASBOs) and Acceptable Behaviour Contracts (ABCs) are issued to those children or minors who are prosecutable but are likely to be placed under supervision of their local Youth Offending Team.

An Acceptable Behaviour Contract (ABC) will be issued informally by the police and will be signed by the individual responsible, who will be given the opportunity to remain out of trouble for a set period before the Acceptable Behaviour Contract is removed.

If all efforts fail to curb the anti-social behaviour of the child, he or she will be taken before a magistrate and an Anti-Social Behaviour order (ASBO) will be issued. This is a legal commitment to be bound over and any breach can result in a custodial sentence in either a Young Offenders Centre or an adult prison – depending entirely on the age of the individual involved.

You can find out more about Anti-Social Behaviour Orders and Acceptable Behaviour Contracts from your local authority, Youth Offending Team or Community Police Officer.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
what do you do when someone blackmails you for doing something that might get you into trouble.... Like as a child and having sex with your cousin..... And your other cousin sees you and blackmails you and controls you about it forever but he has kept the secret for 3years now and i found a way to blackmail him too he made a fraud at school told him he can go to jail.... Stoped blackmailing me and we changed schools now he started to blackmail me again.... What should i do because sometimes i feel like killing him...
cameeeee - 19-May-12 @ 10:53 AM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • Kev
    Re: Should we Still Pay Maintenance?
    Hi.my son is 17 at the moment and will be 18 in december. He currently attends an automotive level 2 college course for 9 hrs…
    25 September 2017
  • Cp123
    Re: The Rights of Working Parents
    I've recently asked to change my shifts so they work around school hours 9-3 twice a week and to work a weekend day. As I single…
    25 September 2017
  • LawAndParents
    Re: Could a Child Choose Which Parent to Live With?
    Chocpenguin - Your Question:I have a problem my brothers partner has 4 kids 2 of which are my brothers.…
    25 September 2017
  • Dazsteele
    Re: Should we Still Pay Maintenance?
    I am currently paying aliment to my ex wife for my daughter (20) who has just started university, my daughter works part time…
    25 September 2017
  • LawAndParents
    Re: Underage Sex: How to Protect Your Children
    Holly - Your Question:Hi at the age of 15 I had sex and ended up having a child at 16with someone that was 18 At…
    25 September 2017
  • Ribs
    Re: Should we Still Pay Maintenance?
    I have three children living who moved to Portugal with their mother in 2002/2003. The oldest child is 24 years old, 25 in…
    25 September 2017
  • aa17
    Re: Changing a Child's Surname
    Hi my daughters biologic father has had no contact with her since she was 3 she is now 8 , she is known as with my husband surname…
    25 September 2017
  • Sammyloo
    Re: Your Rights as a Grandparent
    My granddaughter has been taken in to foster care. Can I see my granddaughter as social services won’t give me any information at…
    25 September 2017
  • LawAndParents
    Re: Legal Entitlement to Child Benefit and Tax Credits
    Pops - Your Question:Hi, am I entitled to claim any child tax credits as my children live with me 3…
    25 September 2017
  • Debbie
    Re: Prohibited Steps Orders
    My ex says he is taking out a prohibited steps order to stop me moving in with my partner and taking our 10 year old daughter with me. He…
    25 September 2017
Further Reading...
Our Most Popular...
Add to my Yahoo!
Add to Google
Stumble this
Add to Twitter
Add To Facebook
RSS feed
You should seek independent professional advice before acting upon any information on the LawAndParents website. Please read our Disclaimer.