Home > Children & The Law > Minors And Contracts

Minors And Contracts

By: Elizabeth Mugan BA/BSc, PGDipLaw, BVC, CIArb - Updated: 12 Apr 2016 |
Child Minor Parents Property Goods

We enter into contracts on a daily basis without even realising it, such as when we purchase a bar of chocolate from a machine. There are, however, some bad bargains made and it is useful to know your child’s responsibilities when they enter into a contract.

What is a Minor?

A minor (or child) is defined as a person under the age of 18. In order to create a legally binding contract, there must be an offer, acceptance and consideration, which is most commonly payment. The law presumes that children under the age of 7 do not have the power to make contracts.

A minor between 7 and 18 years of age can therefore enter into a contract. There is a presumption, however, that they do not understand the implications of entering into the contract. This means that the minor remains protected, to the disadvantage of the other party. The minor is also able to cancel a contract at any time before reaching the age of 18, and for a reasonable period afterwards without valid reason as the contract is ‘voidable’. Although generally minors are protected, some contracts are not quite so straightforward and there are exceptions to the rule.

Employment and Contracts of Service

One exception relates to contracts of service for employment, apprenticeships and education. The reason for this is so that businesses have some certainty when entering into contracts with your child, particularly where they benefit and can start to earn a living. These contracts are potentially binding as long as they benefit your child. But it will always be subject to your child being able to understand the implications of the contract. If not, the contract will be void.

Even if a contract is beneficial to your child and considered as binding, a court may not be able to enforce it as they cannot force any person to keep a personal relationship as a matter of public policy. The only remedy available in this case would be damages for breach of contract.


Another exception to the rule is that your child is bound to pay a reasonable price for any ‘necessaries’ accrued from a contract. Necessaries are defined as things without which a child cannot reasonably exist, such as clothes, food, etc. The higher your household income, the more likely the courts would rule that something is a necessary.


If your child acquires property with obligations attached to it, such as leasehold or shares in a company, they are bound by those obligations until they no longer own the property. Again, your child may ‘void’ the contract by repudiating it at any time before 18 years of age or in a reasonable period afterwards. They cannot, however, recover monies already paid under the contract unless there has been a total failure of consideration by the other party.


If your child enters into a contract and acquires goods, and the contract is not enforceable against him, the other party cannot sue for the price or damages against your child. However, under the law, an innocent party can seek some remedy against your child. The courts can require any property acquired under the contract to be given back if it is ‘just and equitable to do so’.

So, for example, if your child entered into a contract for new bedroom furniture and did not pay for the goods, then if the contract was unenforceable, the courts may still decide that your child should give the furniture back if you are not prepared to pay for them and they are not classed as ‘necessaries’. This was put in place to stop minors from entering into contracts and not paying once goods had been delivered.


When your child enters into a contract, you may be asked to be their ‘guarantor’. The most common circumstances where a guarantor may be required are if your child was to purchase a car on finance, borrow money, Take Out A Mortgage or rent a place to live. If you become a guarantor for your child, then you are guaranteeing to carry out the contract either for your child or in the event that your child does not carry out what they have promised to do.

In such a case, a contract will be enforceable against you and not your child. This may occur if your child defaults in a car finance payment, which results in you being obligated to make the payment in place of them. Make sure that before you enter into an agreement as guarantor, you read all the terms and conditions and seek legal advice if necessary.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
this needs to stop once and for all no more
peyton - 12-Apr-16 @ 9:40 PM
Hi my thesis about recognizing the rights of incapacity persons is England Please help me to do just like a book or an article, and so I could write her thesis ... Many thanks
yahoo - 12-Nov-15 @ 1:36 AM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • Kev
    Re: Should we Still Pay Maintenance?
    Hi.my son is 17 at the moment and will be 18 in december. He currently attends an automotive level 2 college course for 9 hrs…
    25 September 2017
  • Cp123
    Re: The Rights of Working Parents
    I've recently asked to change my shifts so they work around school hours 9-3 twice a week and to work a weekend day. As I single…
    25 September 2017
  • LawAndParents
    Re: Could a Child Choose Which Parent to Live With?
    Chocpenguin - Your Question:I have a problem my brothers partner has 4 kids 2 of which are my brothers.…
    25 September 2017
  • Dazsteele
    Re: Should we Still Pay Maintenance?
    I am currently paying aliment to my ex wife for my daughter (20) who has just started university, my daughter works part time…
    25 September 2017
  • LawAndParents
    Re: Underage Sex: How to Protect Your Children
    Holly - Your Question:Hi at the age of 15 I had sex and ended up having a child at 16with someone that was 18 At…
    25 September 2017
  • Ribs
    Re: Should we Still Pay Maintenance?
    I have three children living who moved to Portugal with their mother in 2002/2003. The oldest child is 24 years old, 25 in…
    25 September 2017
  • aa17
    Re: Changing a Child's Surname
    Hi my daughters biologic father has had no contact with her since she was 3 she is now 8 , she is known as with my husband surname…
    25 September 2017
  • Sammyloo
    Re: Your Rights as a Grandparent
    My granddaughter has been taken in to foster care. Can I see my granddaughter as social services won’t give me any information at…
    25 September 2017
  • LawAndParents
    Re: Legal Entitlement to Child Benefit and Tax Credits
    Pops - Your Question:Hi, am I entitled to claim any child tax credits as my children live with me 3…
    25 September 2017
  • Debbie
    Re: Prohibited Steps Orders
    My ex says he is taking out a prohibited steps order to stop me moving in with my partner and taking our 10 year old daughter with me. He…
    25 September 2017
Further Reading...
Our Most Popular...
Add to my Yahoo!
Add to Google
Stumble this
Add to Twitter
Add To Facebook
RSS feed
You should seek independent professional advice before acting upon any information on the LawAndParents website. Please read our Disclaimer.